Friday, February 1, 2008

Finally.....

Finally another post, I know... The past few weeks have been misrable with Brian and I both having pneumonia. I got sick first and even with me quarantining myself in the bedroom for over a week and Brian staying in the living room the entire time, he still managed to get sick. We were as careful as we could be and even the dr laughed at us when we told him all the precautions we took. My parents came down for a week to help take care of us and make sure we were eating well (all parents must think their children starve without them). They helped out a lot and let Brian and I catch up on our sleep and try to get better. Brian was supposed to go back into the hospital last week while they were here for his 4th round of chemo, but since he was sick, the dr put him on some meds and wanted to wait until he got better. My dad even helped take him to the ER at 3 am when he had a 102 temp. After a few weeks, Brian and I are finally starting to feel somewhat better again and the dr put him back in the hospital yesterday.

Admissions days are always long days. We got to the hospital at 10:30 am and didn't get admitted into a room until 9:30 pm. Apparently the hospital was at 100% capacity, so we had to sit around and wait on someone to leave. My proudest accomplishment was working an entire 550 piece puzzle all by myself while waiting all afternoon for the blood results and to see the dr. I know, I'm pathetic, but when you have to sit hours in uncomfortable chairs anything to keep your mind off the boredom starts to look good. Brian has the 4 day chemo this time, but it is typically a lot harder on his body and he has harsher side effects. He is still having the really bad migraines everyday, but at least while he is in the hospital they can give him iv meds that usually work a little better than the pill meds he can take at home. He had yet another lumbar punture today and is currently recuperating from that. This whole process is really starting to wear on both of us. The stress and pressure from everything that is going on makes it more and more difficult to try to stay upbeat and positive on a daily basis. He is only halfway done and the shear boredom of everything starts to get to you after a while. We are continually trying to come up with new things to do to keep our minds active and take advantage of the free time we have.

Hopefully we will get out of the hospital on Monday. We aren't very excited about having to watch the Super Bowl in the hospital (go Cowboys, wait, go Packers, who's playing again??). This is the first year that I have actually cared more about the commercials than the game. And this will be the only time I will ever actually want the Patriots to win anything. We really really hope that we will be able to go home to Dallas after this round. We say that everytime, but so far Brian hasn't been up for a 5 hour ride in the car with how he is feeling. We miss our house, dog, friends, etc and can't believe we have been down here over 2 and a half months already. After this round he will be halfway done with the chemo and will only have 4 more rounds to go. We are looking forward to him being cured by May so he can be back just in time to have a depressing over the hill 30th birthday (just kidding).

We hope everyone had a great month and I'm sorry for taking so long to update the blog. I know several of you were getting frusterated with me for not providing more updates and I promise to update the blog more often now even if it is just a few lines to say we are doing ok.

5 comments:

acanada said...

I hurt so badly for both of you! I wish I could be there to help. I have had migraines since I was 12, so I know all about those, but I have never had one for more than 3 days, which I can't even begin to imagine!!! I personally am going to be praying for those, because I can sympathize. Is there anything I can send you guys to do in the hospital???? I want to help. =) I love you cousins, and let me know what you want in your package!!! Stay strong! God is control!
1 Chronicles 16:11
~Autumn

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think we're part Italian somewhere back in the family tree...so, of course, we want you to eat. How can you get well and be happy unless you eat!! (And you DID seem to like the cooking, didn't you??)

Let me know if you can think of anything to relieve the boredom and I'll try to find it for you. . . you've still got 25 Sudoku books, don't you? And if things get REALLY B-O-R-I-N-G, Gary can still sing Karioke! What would Brian like to do besides X-box . . . or does that keep him pretty well occupied? Just give me some suggestions and I'll try to find something to keep you guys sharp. Don't know what would appeal to a guy with a headache.

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Jeremiah 29:11

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Do you love Christ? Do you long to please Him with all your heart? Then, remember this: God’s delays are not God’s denials. Many a Christian feels he is out in the wilderness — that all he is doing is being "led about” in circles. Maybe God is grooming you. He is not ready to thrust you into heavy responsibilities yet. He has you in a holding pattern for His holy purpose. Life is a journey that does not end. God is preparing something wonderful for you. He doesn’t want you to settle for less than His optimum for your life and your work.

Ask God what he wants you to learn from this experience? And do not get discouraged. God is already working in others through the example of your faith in him. You are reaching some with the need for a close relationship with God, reaching others with their need to turn to him, and have caused so many more to think about their own relatioship with God. So, ask God for strength to shine His light so that others may see HIS love through you. I'm so proud of both of you. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Amanda

This is Beverly Farmer. I worked with Brian at Grant Thornton. This is so painful because Brian is such a good and loving person.

I have an idea for something that might help with your boredom. I've been doing genealogy for 10 years and would be glad to work on your and Brians family trees if you would be interested. Sometime is it just amazing what you can find. If you're interested, send info on your grandparents to me at bev3070@tx.rr.com. I can send you pieces of the puzzle, with documentation that might be kind of fun for you to see.

May God bless both of you!!

Love,
BEverly

Lauren said...

SO, so, so glad to talk to you today. For the record, I wasn't one of the frustrated people, just getting a little worried and not quite sure what to be praying for. I seem to remember many boring days in college...whatever did we do back then? Oh, yes, we became premature grandmas with our cross-stitch masterpieces! You could always bring that back!
Love you both!
Lauren

Donna Canada said...

Brian & Amanda,
I have been praying for you every day - yes, every day. I'm sorry I'm not such a good comment leaver.
Brian, has Amanda ever told you about the time that she and Autumn went to the Ranger stadium? Get her to tell you sometime.
I continue to pray that the chemo will rid your body of every micro speck of that dreaded disease. I pray that you will have strength and stamina to withstand the effects of the treatments. I pray for your doctors, and I pray for Amanda.
Know that He will fight this battle for you. This too shall pass, and your life will be a example of His grace and power.
With love,
Donna