Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One more test before chemo

Brian's blood levels are back to "normal" again, so that means it's time for another round of chemo to knock them down again. We packed our bags and headed back to the hospital yesterday fully anticipating to be admitted and start chemo last night. During our dr appt he proceeded to ask us about the tests that Brian was supposed to have after his last round of chemo. We hadn't had any of the tests yet and they weren't even scheduled until next week, so that put a delay in being admitted. They like to see how he is progressing after every 2 rounds, but the problem is that our insurance will only cover the tests once every 50 days. I guess that's why they hadn't scheduled them for until next week when the 50 days would be up. 1 week doesn't sound like a long time to wait, but of course when you are dealing with an aggressive cancer, every day of a delay is a big deal. Luckily, the dr thought there was a way around the insurance to where they would cover it under certain circumstances. They sent us home with our suitcases still packed and told us they would contact the insurance company for us and make sure it would be covered before we went through with the testing. Also, instead of having the full day of several different tests, the dr said he could just have the PET scan (still a 4 hour test) and then be admitted the same day once he got the results.

We went home and still weren't scheduled with a time for the PET scan, the dr said he would call us once they got an answer from the insurance company. Then at 8:30 this morning the dr called and told us to get to the hospital as quickly as we could, insurance had approved the test and they were going to try to fit us into the schedule for the PET scan. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a morning person, but we hopped out of bed, threw on whatever clothes we had left in our closet, and caught the next bus to the hospital. Luckily our suitcase was still packed, so at least we were somewhat ready. With another strike of luck and a phone call from our dr, the imaging clinic was able to get Brian in for the test within 30 minutes of us getting here. Today seems to be off to a great start, so hopefully it will continue.

As soon as Brian is finished with the test we are supposed to head over to the other hospital building to see the dr again. Hopefully it won't take that long to get the scan results and he will be able to admit him today. Brian will be on the 5th round this time, cycle A, so we should be in the hospital for 5-7 days again.

I'll post another update soon with test results.....

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Goodness! I am so sorry that on top of the obvious stresses of cancer, you're also having to deal with red tape from the insurance company. I can't wait until the day when we see you again, whether in Houston or Plano or Waco!

acanada said...

We love you guys and we're still praying!!! Hang in there!!!

1 Chronicles 16:11

Phil. 4:13

~Autumn & Damion

Anonymous said...

Brian and Amanda
If you ever need help with the insurance company let me know. I used to work for one, the last thing the two of you need to worry about is the red tape regarding insurance companies.
I am praying for you.

Amy K

Mom said...

Brian, you must be disappointed that you will have to wait until next Monday for the chemo, but I'm so happy that your PET scan looked good. I hope your ear infection isn't causing you any more pain and that you will be able to have a GREAT weekend before heading back to the hospital. Please let me know how the test this week turns out. I love you guys and am continually praying for you both!!

Lena said...

Hi Guys,
I know there are so many facets of this you are dealing with, each a giant in it's own right...you're both doing an incredible job coping with all this. Your faith is a continuing witness to all of us and I want to encourage you with a verse from the Psalms: "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." (91:14-16)

Love to you both. Hope you're enjoying a restful weekend.

Lena :)