Saturday, December 1, 2007

We're home.....kinda

Brian was finally released from the hospital last night after 12 long days!!! We made it to the apartment and it has been so great to be able to sit on a couch and relax with him. We still have to go back to the hospital tomorrow for another small chemo IV, but it should only last about an hour and we will be able to go home afterwards. He also has another procedure on Monday to put a blood patch on his spine to help with the healing from the lumbar puncture. The fluid they took out during the first procedure hasn't equalized yet so it has been causing Brian excruciating headaches whenever he stands or sits up. He has been laying flat as much as he can and that seems to be the perfect position to watch tv or play xbox, so I guess he lucked out. Unfortunately, he will have to have the lumbar puncture every time he does chemo A since there is a 30% chance that the cancer could spread to his spine. We also have 2 other dr appts scheduled for next week, so we should be staying busy. When Brian was released from the hospital, they also gave us a huge bag full of prescriptions to keep up with. I've made a spreadsheet for all his medicines so I can keep track of them and try to be a good nurse when he's in my care.

My dad had been here helping us the entire time we've been down here, but went home today to allow Brian and I to have some much needed normal time together. Even if we are only able to spend a few days at the apartment in between chemo sessions, it definitely rejuvenates us and gives Brian the energy to keep fighting. He has been so strong both mentally and physically during this time and is determined to go home cured. Struggles like this make you realize how precious life is and that we shouldn't take the little things for granted. The welcoming hug, admiring look, quick kiss, comforting shoulder are just some of the routine things that we can quickly become accustomed to and not realize how precious they are until something happens that makes you cherish them even more.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian and Amanda,

I am so glad everything is going well, Mike has been talking to me daily and giving me an update. You are constantly on my mind, and in my prayers. Hope to talk to you soon.

Love to both of you,
Donise

Anonymous said...

Amanda & Brian,
Bless you both! I hope you both will have a good restful night in the apartment. Do hope your trip to the hospital tomorrow will be a good one, and won't take too long.
I will keep you both in my prayers.
Love ya'll!

Jennie said...

We are thinking of you and praying daily for you both. I am so glad you've started this blog to update us all!

Brian, Jennie & Helen

Anonymous said...

You guys enjoy your time together. I am glad you are out of the hospital. We are thinking about you guys a lot and miss you. I would like to come down soon, Reed may come with me; play some xbox :) We will continue to pray for you guys.

Love you guys,
Bill and Kim and Hayden

Anonymous said...

We love you folks so much. I'm also glad to hear that you are able to get a break from the hospital. Looking forward to the time when this is all cured and you two can get back to your lives.

Bill, Marilyn, and Family

Anonymous said...

It's just a hour drive to the hospital. Let us know if we can bring you some meals for the freezer or some DVDs.

Chaney and Eliz

Lena said...

Hi Guys,
Just thinking about you as you're most likely back at the hospital right now. Hope the procedures go smoothly and quickly and you get to enjoy another more restful afternoon once that's done. Love you both very much. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated as we're with you in heart and spirit!
Love,
Lena :)

Bridget said...

Brian and Amanda,
My mom just called me and told me this news. I am so shocked.
I am a long lost friend of Brian's. Our mom's were very close, and we thought of each other as family. We now live about thirty minutes from you, and in Houston time, that's considered very close. I would love to be able to help you in anyway I can. Even if it's a small as bringing a meal or helping you find your way around. I stay at home, so I am free most of the time. If anything please know that I will pray for you daily. Brian, you are a strong person. I know you will beat this!

Bridget

Kathie said...

Brian & Amanda,

It is so great to hear that you are in the apartment!

The blood drive has started here. Carter was late getting here so we are behind on the schedule, but we'll get there.

I received word this morning that the Raytheon on Lemmon Ave is having a blood drive tomorrow and Paulene Tresnicky (here at FSS)knew who to call and she requested their donations go towards you and they said ok!!!!

Here is something funny for you. I took Amy horseback riding on Saturday. Oh it gets funnier! I put her on Parfait (sweet, sweet, kind mare) and start teaching Amy what to do, then we go outside and ride for a few minutes. I get the trailer hooked to my truck, load the horses and Amy, and we head for the trails at Lake Lavon. We get there, get mounted up and off we go. Doing pretty good - Amy is still up on Parfait. About 2 miles into the ride, Parfait decides she is fat, prenant, and tired, so she turns around and heads back to the trailer - Amy is helpless because Parfait is not listening to her. I have to turn around and get one of Amy's reins and start leading them - Parfait kinda sighs but is a trooper and comes w/me. After about 5 mins of leading them, I give Amy the rein back and we continue. About 10 mins later Parfait again says enough and turns around. I repeat above and we continue. About 10 mins later Amy says ok, my legs are hurting, my butt is getting sore, lets turn around. Ok, we turn around and walk about 5 steps, Parfait says we're not going the right way and turns around (heading away from the trailer), I go get them and lead them for awhile. Amy is really thrilled at being led, Parfait is thrilled as well. Rod (my horse) and I are laughing to ourselves. We get almost to the trailer and Rod stops, there are a bunch of cows in the trees on the other side of the fence. Both Rod & Parfait raise their heads up to see what the monsters are in the bushes. We get past them w/o incident (thank goodness the cows stood still and did not move!). We finally get back to the trailer, load up, and head back to the barn. I have not heard from Amy since and it is 2:00 on Monday. Just kidding, she had an MRI done today. We had a good time and Amy met her match w/Parfait. Amy was even wearing a set of spurs!

I hope this brightens your day some. Wish I had taken the camera!

Hang in there and you will be home in Plano before long!

Kathie

Anonymous said...

Brian and Amanda,
I am so glad that you got to go "home" for a few days. Mike came by last night and it was really good to see him. He sounds and looks really good. He had just had dinner with Mom & Dad at Red Lobster. He called and asked me to go, but I had to pass, I am sorry I missed that.
I hope the days pass quickly, and that you can be comfortable during your time there. I know that getting to be out of the hospital and in your apartment will be good for both of you. As always, I am praying for your full recovery, and I know that we will all be back together soon. We love you both.
Tammy

Lauren said...

Love you guys and I'm still praying every time I think of you. I cannot even imagine what your dealing with, but I am so thankful to hear about how much of a fighter Brian is. It makes me laugh to think of you (Amanda) making a medications spreadsheet. That sounds just like you. Remember that you are loved.

Anonymous said...

I've had one of those spinal tap headaches-Ouchies! How wonderful to have some normal time to recoup in!

You both are always in our hearts, with prayers never ceasing until good health is restored and you both are home again.
Let us know if we can do anything for you from this side of Texas. No request is too small or too large.

Always on my mind,

Love,
Marilyn