Thursday, November 29, 2007

The first round of chemo is complete

It has been a very long week. Brian finally finished his first round of chemo yesterday with only a few complications. He has been really nauseous lately with really bad headaches, so we are trying to get that under control with oral medications before he is released from the hospital and doesn't have his IV. The central venous catheter that was in his arm caused a blot clot, so he had to have that removed Tuesday night and replaced it with 2 regular IVs so he could continue his chemo. They will probably try to insert another CVC in his chest, but will wait until his second round so we don't have to take care of it while he is out of the hospital. For now, they put him on blood thinners and are cautiously monitoring him to make sure his stomach doesn't start bleeding again. He will have to take 3 shots in the stomach everyday until the chemo is over, and I had to learn how to give these to him as well. I'll probably be a certified nurse by the time he is cured. He also had complications with the lumbar puncture procedure and had to go through that very painful process twice this week. We have been trying to get out and walk around the hospital as often as we can, but unfortunately he hasn't felt like it very much. He is also back down to his normal weight and looks almost like himself again. We are still hopeful that Brian will be discharged tomorrow and we will get to spend some time outside the hospital before the next round of chemo starts. I have taken most of the education classes the hospital offers so I will know what to expect and how to help treat and reduce some of the side effects he will have. Luckily we are staying in Houston and will only be a mile away from the hospital if we have any problems or questions. Brian will also have to have follow up appointments every 2-3 days through the first few rounds. Overall, Brian is doing as well as can be expected and he is remaining positive and optimistic. We are remembering to laugh everyday and for some reason I seem to be good at making sure he has something to laugh at.

Praises:
Round 1 of chemo is complete!!
Swelling from the chemo has reduced.
Brian hopefully will be released from the hospital tomorrow.

Prayer Requests:
The chemo will work and his cancer will be cured.
Side effects are minimal and are able to be controlled with medications.
Brian will continue to feel better and we will be able to continue a somewhat normal life in Houston.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanna remind you we (family and church friends here in Artesia) are praying for you guys everyday! I know this can't be easy! I was just thinking today about when I went to Arlington and you took me to meet the Rangers and we had lunch with Dan Peltier. That was so cool. We've had some fun times!!! Oklahoma has tons of memories all by itself as well! Anytime you need anything, e-mail or call, okay?!!? Love you!
Autumn & Damion

Lena said...

Hi Guys!
Thanks for the update and your prayer needs. We're on it! ;) Brian sounds like you're going to have top-notch nursing with Amanda taking all those hospital classes. (You did check her grades didn't you?) I'm afraid I would've had to repeat something before I actually started "attending"...you can add to your thankful list that I'm not helping to nurse you if you want. Hope your night is as restful as possible for you both. Love and kisses, Lena :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers everyday. So glad that the first part of this chemo is behind you. If you all need anything, just let me know. Love you!
Betty & Charlie

lola said...

Just wanted to say, "nightie night". Love you, love you. That's one for each of you!

The Mills Gang said...

Hey there! Jeff told me about your blog and I am glad you are doing one. Now, we can keep up with you and see how are you doing. We have been praying for you and thinking about you guys. We are so happy that the first round of chemo is over. We pray that the Lord will take all of this away quickly. We love you guys!
Mandy and Jeff

Anonymous said...

Brian & Amanda,

I just read the email from Amanda and am shocked to hear the news, but I know that you guys will pull through this together.

I'm glad you are at MD Anderson, the doctors in Houston are miracle workers. I don't pray very often, but I'll pray for you both for equanimity, and a speedy recovery for you bro.

If I'm down in Houston around Christmas, I'll come visit you guys if you aren't already back in Dallas.

Get Well!!!
Ech & Alex

Anonymous said...

LOVE YA'LL!

I'm praying for you and keeping up with how you are doing. Everyone in cookeville is aware and those who pray are keeping you first in their prayers also. A few are trying to help me in the fundraising. Stay Strong! I know that many people have told you this, but remember that you can be comfortable in the fact that God never puts you through anything that you cannot handle. The things that are unpleasant in my life always seem much smaller when I think about this. Know that you are never alone, never forsaken.
Always,
Ryan