Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Still in the hospital

Sorry it has taken me so long to update the blog, but as I have said many times before, this has been a long week already. The weekend was another good one, we were both able to catch up on our sleep and relax as much as you can in a hospital room. As we become more familiar with the process it seems like the days you have chemo are the easy ones and the bad ones are the days following chemo. Brian finished his second round on Sunday without too many problems, however since Sunday he has had several different complications. He developed another temperature of 102 that lasted close to 2 days, he was having severe chills as well, so he was bundled up in blankets with ice packs on his head trying to cool down and sweat it out at the same time. Since he had the temp, the drs took some more blood tests and x-rays to make sure there weren't any infections, and in the x-ray they discovered that his CVC had moved and wasn't in the right spot of his heart anymore. They had to power flush it again, which is very painful. The past 2 days Brian has been extremely sick to his stomach and has been throwing up a lot and hasn't been able to eat. He was able to take a few different meds and is getting better today and was able to eat a little dinner tonight. Also, today he developed a rash all over his body that has been very itchy. I tried rubbing lotion on his legs and his hair started coming out, so we are thinking hopefully the itchiness is just from his hair follicles and his hair coming out. I doubt I will be able to talk him into shaving his legs though. I guess these are all just standard side effects of chemo, but it is still hard to just sit by and watch Brian in pain without being able to help very much. Everyday we think we might get out of the hospital, Brian develops another side effect and they keep him to observe him and make sure everything is ok. He still has one more lumbar puncture to do this week so they can inject his spine with chemo, and we are really hoping that it goes as well as the puncture last week. Hopefully we will still be able to go home for Christmas, but we won't know until Friday when he has his last blood work done before the holidays. We won't get go home if his blood results are less than normal since we will be 5 hours away if something happens, but they have already been giving him the shots to boost his blood counts, so we are optimistic. We are still keeping in good spirits and have been able to laugh a lot in between the bad times. God is still watching out for us and we know that things could be a lot worse so we can't complain. I guess those are all the updates for now, hopefully I'll have a better report next time.

Prayer Requests:
- Brian's side effects, that they will subside and he will start feeling better
- That Brian's blood counts will be normal and we will be able to go home for Christmas

Praises:
- We have such wonderful family and friends that are incredible and do everything possible to support us (I know I say this every time, but we can't thank everyone enough)

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Just reading this makes me think of this song.... one which I have been listening to on REPEAT about 100x a day lately :)

It's called "Hungry (Falling on my knees)" - I have the version by Joy Williams

Lyrics:
Hungry I come to You
for I know You satisfy
I am empty but I know Your love does not run dry
so I wait for You
so I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
offering all of me Jesus,
You're all this heart is living for
broken I run to You
for Your arms are open wide

I am weary but I know Your touch restores my life
so I'll wait for You
so I'll wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
offering all of me Jesus,
You're all this heart is living for

Oh, I'm falling on my knees
offering all of me Jesus,
You're all this heart is living for
and I wait for you

I'm falling on my knees
offering all of me Jesus,
You're all this heart is living for

Oh, I'm falling on my knees
offering all of me Jesus,
You're all this heart is living for
hungry I come to you,
for I know You satisfy

Anonymous said...

Brian,

It was great to talk to you yesterday. You sounded really good. Hope all goes well with your tests on Friday and that you are able to go home for Christmas. We're all praying for you. We're doing the best we can in your absence.

Jamie said...

Forgot to finish my post from above... we miss you guys & are praying you get to come home for Christmas!!!! Love yall, the seeeigs :)

Donna Canada said...

Thinking of you this morning and hoping you have a wonderful day and even better week-end.
Love and prayers,
Donna & family

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys get home for Christmas. I will be praying for you and put you on the prayer list at church. We have some awesome prayer warriers.

Nancy said...

Brian and Amanda,
We miss you guys so much and are praying for you every day. I know that you will get through this and that you will both be stronger in the Lord and with each other for having gone through it together. I hope that you get to come home for the Holidays!

Love you,
The Casteels