Thursday, December 27, 2007

God answers prayers

Merry 2 days after Christmas!!! We were able to get settled into our new apartment yesterday and we are very happy to be here. My parents and brother were able to help me move everything since Brian can still barely stand up. The apartment is older than the one we were in, but we have found it to be much nicer. It has a lot more room with a couch with 2 recliner chairs in the living room and a very large bedroom and even a washer and dryer. Brian is very excited about the recliners (the small things matter). We are so grateful that we were able to get into a church apartment so quickly and we will be able to stay here until we can move back home permanently.

We spent all day today at the hospital for a few appointments (blood work, ultrasound, etc). When we received the results of the blood work we were shocked. His white blood cell count that was at a 0.9 on Christmas Eve is now at at 134!!!! A normal person's white blood cell count is typically between 4-11, so 134 is extremely extremely high. When he finishes chemo each time they give him Neupogen shots to take for 10 days to increase his count since he is at a very high risk for infection with low counts, but we didn't expect his body to respond so suddenly. The drs even said today they they have never seen anyone's levels increase this dramatically in such a short amount of time. On Christmas he had very bad sharp pains in his bones that he described as someone breaking all his bones to where he couldn't even hardly walk. We called the ER since we were concerned, but they said it was normal with the shots and to not be alarmed, so that calmed our nerves long enough until the hospital opened again today from Christmas. He had been going through a lot of pain meds because of the pain, but never thought the pain would be related to his count being too high since it was so low only a few days before. Needless to say, he doesn't have to take the shots anymore for now, and the dr said his results looked so good that they even cancelled his blood work that was scheduled for Saturday! Besides the bone pain, Brian has still be experiencing daily migraines, nausea, and fatigue related to the chemo. We are trying to treat it the best we can with medicines and home remedies, but it is still frustrating for him since he isn't used to being fatigued and stuck at home for so long.

Because of the great blood results, the next time he will have to go to the hospital will be next Wed where he will be restaged and have to undergo all the diagnostic tests again to see how the cancer is reacting to the chemo. We will need a lot of prayers for that day, we have appts from 6:30 am to 8:40 pm, and I'm sure it will be both physically and mentally exhausting for both of us.

God is awesome!!

Praises:
- Our nice new apartment!!
- Brian's white blood cell count reacted very well to the Neupogen shots!!

Prayer Requests:
- Pray for January 2nd when Brian goes back for several different tests to see how the cancer is reacting
- Pray that Brian's side effects will subside and he will regain some energy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you like the new apartment and both now have comfortable recliners instead of that sofa and platform chair. I'm so happy for you guys and the great test results today. Brian, do you need me to send arthritis cream for that "X-Box thumb?" Love you guys so much.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful for the time that I got to spend with my two children. It was a wonderful holiday and although we weren't at home, what mattered was that we were together. This next year will be even better and at home. You both are so special to me and to the Lord. I know that things look and feel bad, but the Lord has a purpose for all things and I believe that you will be refined to a greater level than you already are.
Love and prayers go out continously.
Love Dad

Lauren said...

I just wanted you two to know that Jadie and I are still thinking of you often and praying for you...

acanada said...

Once again, I have to say a huge PRAISE GOD! =) I'm so happy to hear about your new apartment, and about the white blood cell count! I will let everyone know to pray specifically for Jan.
2nd's appointment. Love you! Have a good few days off!
Love, Autumn & Damion

Anonymous said...

I have to write and tell you how much I admire you both. I know that this is a time when many would be questioning God, or even turning away from God. You two with your young sould are so strong and look to God for the strength you need to make it through the next challenge. I am so proud of you. I know how very hard it is to change from being the care giver to being the patient. I have had that transition myself. I had always been the care giver, the nurturer and in one fell sweep my life changed forever.

I pray daily that the Lord will touch you with his gentle hand and caress you with his love as you endure this challenge. Find comfort in his promises of strength.

I love that you include blessings or celebrations in your postings.

I love you and will continue to pray for both of you.

Pattie

Tonya said...

Brian and Amanda,
Praise God on your new apartment and Brians white blood cell count. You both are being so incredibly strong and we admire you so much for that. Please let us know if you need anything.
Take care,
God Bless,
Love yah,
clint and Tonya

Anonymous said...

So glad to read your blog today with the good news of Brian's white blood cell count! Also, so happy for ya'll being in that new apartment. It sounds really nice. I know it isn't home, but ya'll will be home soon. So glad that Gary, Joyce & Brad were with you all at Christmas. I know it helped having them there. I pray that all the test next week goes well. You are both in my prayers daily! Love you both!
Love,
Aunt Betty

Donna Canada said...

Glad to hear the good news about the white blood count and the new apartment. I will double up my prayers tomorrow as he goes in for his appointment then. I wish both of you a peace that passes all understanding as you enter the new year. The battle belongs to the Lord. Always remember that.
Love and prayers always,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thank God! I hope his comfort level improves. Good luck on the tests on Wed. I love you guys and I'll give you a call on Thurs. ~Rosey

Lena said...

Happy New Year Brian and Amanda! You two are so strong and a great witness to everyone! Glad to hear you got into the new apartment. We included you guys in our annual new year's prayer. We also include you in our prayers every day. Many people here in Memphis ask about how you are doing and tell us they are also praying for you. Brian, we are so sorry to hear all about your pain, but thank goodness for pain medecine, huh? Wished we lived closer to help out with anything you might need. We pray that God brings you through this quickly and completely!