Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!! We are so grateful for today and for all the friends and family we have supporting us through this difficult time in our lives, we couldn't make it through this without all of you.

Today has been a good day. Brian, Brian's dad, my dad, and I were all able to have a nice Thanksgiving dinner around the hospital bed. Brian had the typical Thanksgiving quesadillas, and we had some form of turkey and dressing from the hospital cafeteria. Brian also started chemo last night!! We are so thankful that we was able to get started on this so that we wouldn't have to wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday. The chemo side effects haven't hit him yet, so we were still able to get up and walk around the hospital for a little while to try to get his blood circulating through his legs. In addition to the chemo, they have been giving him some steroids that have brought back his appetite. He was able to eat the quesadillas and a piece of cake today without throwing up. This may sound minor, but when he hasn't been able to eat for a week, this is a huge accomplishment. He started to have a few minor side effects tonight affecting his smell and taste, and I'm sure they will be magnified tomorrow. Hopefully the pain meds and nausea meds will help with this so that he isn't in too much pain or discomfort. We are cherishing all the time we are getting to spend together, even when it is in this situation.

Praises:
Brian has started chemo and is on his way to recovery!!
Brian has been able to eat today without getting nauseous.
Our dads were able to be here with us for Thanksgiving and help out with everything.

Prayer requests:
Continued prayers for the chemo treatments, that Brian's body will accept them and he won't have too many harsh side effects.
Continued prayers for the doctors and nurses, that they will be given the training and knowledge to treat Brian's cancer in the best way possible.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the updates - we love you guys and all of our thoughts & prayers go out to you!!!!

Pattie Zirkelbch said...

Hey kiddos, I am so glad that you started this blog so that we can all keep up with the whirlwind that will be your lives for the next several weeks and maybe months. Knowing that you are at the cancer hospital and with the doctors that are the most knowledgeable in their field is reassuring because we know he is getting the best treatment he can get there. I am sorry he had to repeat some tests. I am vry happy,however, that he is able to eat again. I know that is always difficult with the side effects of chemo. and also with the polyps. They are making such profound advances with the treatment of various kinds of cancer, hopefully they will be able to cure Brian. You have both been in my heart and prayers since I have heard of this challenge that has been put in front of you. I am so proud of how you look to the Lord for strength. I know how reassuring it is to have your dad there with you. I am so happy he is able to be there. I do want you to know that if you should ever need someone to stay with Brian through the day so you can return to work, please let me know. I am a nurse and would be honored to assist you with his care if needed. I don't really have any obligations here except for my critters (one cat and one dog)and arrangements can be made for them. I will do anything and everything I can do to help you. Every day is a blessing! Love always, Pattie

Anonymous said...

Hey Gril! I heard from Rosie about Brian. I am praying for ya'll and I have you on the prayer list at church. Love !!!!!

Lauren said...

I'll be reading your blog to know how things are going with the chemo. I am so sorry to hear about this trial in your life...Know that I will be praying. I will be sharing your story with my friends and they will be praying. Amanda, I love you as I always have. Brian, I love you because Amanda loves you.

Here are come words of encouragement that I found as I searched for passages on strength and courage:
"But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the Lord comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people." Psalm 3:3-8

Anonymous said...

So sorry that you all are having to go through this. Sometimes it is hard to understand the why of it, but you are both really blessed to know that your family loves you very much. We will keep you in our prayers every day, and hope that you will have a full recovery. So glad that ya'lls Dad's are both there with you to help you. Love you both very much! Bless you both!
Love,
Aunt Betty